VLC for Windows 10
Popular media player designed for Windows 10
- Category Players
- License Free
- Version 2015.915.1119.1464
- Size 31.34 MB
- Works under Windows 10 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10
- Language English
- Program by VideoLAN
VLC for Windows 10 is the latest version of VLC Media Player, designed to run as an app under Windows 10. This is not the standard desktop version, but an app of the variety available in the Windows Store and designed specifically for the Windows 10 interface. VLC Media Player has been around for a long time and has long been known for supporting a very wide variety of video and audio playback formats including, but not limited to, MP3, MP4, WMV, MOV, OGG, FLAC and MKV.
This Windows 10 edition is a streamlined version of the latest VLC release. It is designed primarily as a media player, and as such, most of the advanced playback controls and tools menu are disabled. VLC for Windows 10 is able to play media from the local music and video folders, USB flash drives, external hard drives and any network streams or file shares. The app can also display your computer's music collection and organize songs by album, artist and date. Custom playlists can be made very simply from within the app, either by clicking on the "playlists" feature and "+" button or by manually clicking on the "add to playlist" option listed by each song and album.
The app has four main tabs; videos, music, browse and network. Videos and shows are automatically read from your media folders and can also be uploaded from your mobile device's camera roll. A URL can be entered in the "network" tab to access local area network and internet streams. The default page displays your most recently played media. The app fits well with the scheme of the Windows app interface and is easy to use on touchscreen devices and phones, which will probably remain the greatest advantage of the app.
The bottom right-hand corner brings up a simple media search bar and a bare-bones settings tab. From the settings tab, you can configure basic subtitle encoding and see a list of available keyboard shortcuts to control the app. You can also set the app language, home page and color scheme. The audio section of the settings tab features a very basic equalizer.
- This app features a lightweight and simple interface for Windows 10.
- VLC for Windows 10 provides a quick and easy media player for especially mobile Windows platforms.
- Large icons and program buttons assist in using the app on touchscreen devices.
- The app still supports a wide variety of audio and video files, including MP3, MP4, WMV, MOV, OGG, FLAC and MKV.
- The app can stream and play music from the internet or local network shares.
- The app can be easily controlled by means of keyboard shortcuts.
- VLC for Windows 10 lacks many of the features of VLC Media Player for desktop.
- The settings are hidden and the interface could be more intuitive.
- There is no ability to manipulate audio or video, and the tools menu of the desktop app is gone.